Skip to Content

USCIS Expands Partnership with Social Security Administration

Social Security Card

USCIS announced today applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process. Previously, these individuals had to apply for a Social Security number through a corresponding I-765 Employment Authorization application or at a Social Security office. USCIS is revising Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to include the additional questions needed to apply for an SSN or a replacement card.

After approving Form, I-485, in most cases USCIS will electronically transmit the data to the Social Security Administration. Upon receiving the data, the Social Security Administration will automatically assign an original SSN or issue a replacement card, as appropriate. This partnership with the Social Security Administration will not increase the filing fee for Form I-485.

Please call our office for assistance with filing your adjustment of status applications at 972-241-4698 or email us at Follow us on Facebook, IG, and visit our website at for immigration updates.