Skip to Content

When Do TPS Designations Expire?

American flag with shadows

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a humanitarian program that provides protection and work authorization to eligible individuals who are unable to safely return to their home country due to armed conflict, natural disaster, or other extraordinary conditions. Individuals with TPS can live and work in the United States for the duration of the TPS designation. Unfortunately, TPS does expire.

Do TPS Designations Expire?

The expiration of a TPS designation may result from a country’s conditions no longer warranting the designations or from the U.S. government’s determination that the original requirements for the TPS designation no longer exist. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) may also terminate a TPS designation in response to a country’s request that the United States no longer provide TPS to its citizens.

What Happens When TPS Expires?

When a TPS designation expires, individuals revert back to their previous immigration status. This means that individuals who were previously protected from deportation may once again be subject to removal proceedings.

What Can I Do To Avoid Deportation If My TPS Designation Expires?

If you are a recipient of TPS and your TPS designation is about to expire, it is important that you seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options for remaining in the United States. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may be eligible for another form of relief from removal, such as asylum or adjustment of status.

Seek Legal Guidance

Akula & Associates P.C. is here to help you navigate through the complex Immigration process. Our Immigration attorneys are knowledgeable and experienced in a variety of immigration matters, including but not limited to TPS and adjustment of status. Don’t let your temporary protected status designation expire without exploring all of your options!

Schedule a consultation with one of our Dallas immigration attorneys today at (844) 299-5003.