Skip to Content

Who Can I Sponsor for a Family-Based Visa?

Family waiting in an airport

United States citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) may sponsor certain relatives who live abroad for a family-based visa. This temporary visa provides the first step for many immigrants seeking full U.S. citizenship down the line.

Learn which relatives you may sponsor for a family-based visa and how to do so.

Types of Family-Based Visas

U.S. immigration law separates family-based visas into two main categories, including “Immediate Relative” visas and “Family Preference Immigrant” visas. Immediate Relative visas are unlimited while Family Preference Immigrant visas are capped at a certain number each year.

Those eligible for an Immediate Relative visa include the following:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen

  • The parent of an adult U.S. citizen

  • The unmarried children of a U.S. citizen

  • An orphan who was adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen

  • An orphan whose adoption by a U.S. citizen is pending

Those eligible for a Family Preference Immigrant visa include the following:

  • Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if applicable

  • Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and adult unmarried sons and daughters of legal permanent residents

  • Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children

  • Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children

Seeking a Family-Based Visa? We’re Here to Help

If you would like to sponsor a relative abroad for a family-based visa, our Dallas immigration attorneys are here to help. At Akula & Associates, we work hard to ensure you ultimately save time and money throughout the immigration process.

Contact us today at (844) 299-5003 to learn how we can assist you.

Share To: