Skip to Content

Can U.S. Citizens Help Their Parents Receive Green Cards?

Akula & Associates P.C.

Did you know that U.S. citizens can petition for permanent residence visas, or more commonly known as green cards, for their foreign-born parents through family sponsorship? In order to sponsor a parent to receive a green card, you must be at least 21 years of age and be a U.S. citizen. Since parents are classified as “immediate relatives” under immigration laws, there is no limit on the number of green cards that may be issued under this category. Likewise, there are no associated waitlists to slow down the application process.

While parents of U.S. citizens are granted a speedier application time, they must still meet all of the same requirements as other applicants and may be denied green cards for reasons such as their criminal records, history of immigration violations, health concerns, and more. Likewise, citizens must be able to show that they have sufficient funds or assets to support their parents at 125% of the U.S. poverty guidelines.

Based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), parents who have made lawful entry into the United States can pursue an adjustment of immigration status within the country. If they are able to meet all necessary qualifications, an adjustment of status can be made from a nonimmigrant to an immigrant.

How to Apply for Permanent Residence for Foreign Parents

To begin, you will need to complete and file a separate Form I-130 for each of your parents with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form will prove your citizenship and child-parent relationship by requiring you to submit copies of your passport, naturalization certificate, or other proof of citizenship, as well as your birth certificate displaying your parents’ names.

Once approved, the application will be sent to the U.S. consulate in your parents’ home country, at which time they will be instructed to file various forms and documents of their own. Finally, they will be then called in for an interview with an immigration officer, after which point their visa will be either approved or denied. If approved, they will be able to lawfully reside in the United States indefinitely.

For more information about this process or to find out if your parents qualify for legal permanent residence, contact the Dallas immigration attorneys at Akula & Associates, P.C. Backed by more than 30+ years of experience in business and family immigration law, our diverse and knowledgeable legal team can address your questions and help you navigate through the American immigration process with ease.

Call (844) 299-5003 or contact our office online today to discuss your immigration case.

Share To: