Skip to Content

What Are the Visa Preference Categories for Permanent Workers?

a woman working on her laptop

If you have the right combination of skills, education, and experience, you could be eligible to live and work in the United States permanently. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has five set employment-based immigration visa preferences. The more qualifications and experience you have, the more likely you will qualify for a permanent visa. Our Dallas immigration attorneys have put together a list of the five preference categories.

If you want to obtain a permanent workers visa in the U.S., our Dallas immigration attorneys can help you. Contact us today at (844) 299-5003! We serve nationwide!

Permanent Work Visa Preference Categories

First Preference (EB-1)

To qualify for the first preference visa category, you must have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. You will also qualify if you are an outstanding professor, researcher, or a multinational executive/manager. Most workers in this category don’t require a personal license. However, you will need to demonstrate that you have international recognition or that you are at the top of your career to qualify for an EB-1 visa.

Second Preference (EB-2)

To qualify for a second preference visa, you must hold advanced degrees or have exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business. The EB-2 visa requirements are relatively lower than those of EB-1, particularly regarding the ‘extraordinary ability’ subcategory. The EB-1 visa is reserved for only individuals with the highest level of recognition and achievements, but the EB-2 visa requirements are more accessible.

Third Preference (EB-3)

The third preference category is for “professionals and skilled workers.” You must demonstrate that you have at least two years of job experience, education, or training that meets the job requirements you are applying for. You must also demonstrate that you have the equivalent of a degree in the United States. You might still be able to qualify for this category if you have less than two years of experience, but you should speak to an experienced attorney to learn more about this option.

Fourth Preference (EB-4)

This preference is only for “special immigrants.” This includes certain religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, and minors who are wards of courts in the U.S. Below is a list of other qualifying individuals:

  • Special Immigrant Juveniles
  • Certain broadcasters
  • Certain retired officers or employees of a G-4 international organization or NATO-6 civilian employees and their family members
  • Certain employees of the U.S. government who are abroad and their family members
  • Members of the U.S. armed forces
  • Panama Canal Company or Canal Zone government employees
  • Certain physicians licensed and practicing medicine in the U.S.
  • Afghan or Iraqi translators or interpreters
  • Iraqis and Afghans who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government

Fifth Preference (EB-5)

You can qualify for an EB-5 visa if you are a business investor who invests $1.8 million or $900,000 in an employment area or a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. employees.

Dallas Employment Immigration Attorneys

If you want to obtain an employment visa and remain in the United States permanently, our team at Akula & Associates P.C. can help you. Our Dallas immigration lawyers have helped immigrants obtain the right work visa suited for their unique situation. We have the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to help you achieve your desired results. Get in touch with our team today, and we can guide you through the process and answer any questions.

We are here to help you! Call our Akula & Associates P.C. to schedule a case review at (844) 299-5003!