Skip to Content

Which Visa Is Best for Artists, Athletes & Entertainers?

person playing guitar

Professionals in the entertainment or sports industry are required to travel often to share their work or compete overseas. If you are an artist, athlete, or entertainer, you may be looking to expand your profession to the United States. If so, you might be wondering which visa is best for you. Our Dallas immigration lawyers explain which visa you should consider if you want to work in the United States.

Need help with your visa application? Contact our Dallas immigration attorneys today at (844) 299-5003.

Athlete Visa: P-1A Visa

If you are an athlete who received a contract or job opportunity in the United States, the P-1A visa might be right for you. The P-1A visa is for professionals who wish to come to the United States temporarily to participate in a specific athletic competition. To qualify for a P-1A visa, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states that you must be:

  • An individual athlete at an internationally recognized level of performance;
  • Part of a team at an internationally recognized level of performance;
  • A professional athlete; or
  • An athlete or coach, as part of a team or franchise that is located in the United States and a member of a foreign league or association.

Part of a Recognized Entertainment Group: P-1B Visa

If you are a member of an entertainment group that has been established for a minimum of one year and is recognized internationally, you may qualify for a P-1B visa. The P-1B visa is for entertainment professionals who want to come to the United States for a minimum of one year. According to the USCIS, your entertainment group must be internationally recognized and have a high level of achievement in a field evidenced by skills or recognition.

Artist or Entertainer: P-2 Visa

You may qualify for a P-2 visa if you want to come to the United States temporarily to perform as an artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group. You must perform under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country.

If you have questions about P visas or you need help with your visa application, contact us today at (844) 299-5003 to schedule a consultation!