Skip to Content

Which Employment Visa Is Right For Me?

a doctor

The U.S. immigration system offers various work visa options for different foreign workers who want to seek employment in the United States. If you are interested in finding employment in the U.S., it’s important to apply for the visa that is best suited for your unique situation. With so many different visa options available, it can be challenging to determine which visa is right for you. That is why our Dallas immigration attorneys explain the different types of U.S. employment visas.

If you need help finding the right employment visa for you or you need guidance with the application process, our Dallas employment immigration attorneys are here to help you. Call us today at (844) 299-5003!

Temporary Worker Visa Categories

A citizen of a foreign country who wants to enter the United States needs to obtain a work visa—either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Temporary employment visas are for those who want to enter the U.S. for employment lasting a fixed period. It is important to note that temporary worker visas require applicants to have a prospective employer first to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is for people with specialty occupations. This means that applicants need to have a higher education degree or an equivalent to qualify for this type of visa. This visa can apply to fashion models of distinguished merit and government research and development. It may also include co-production projects administered by the Department of Defense. Workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as IT, finance, accounting, architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, medicine, and more also qualify.

H-1B1 Visa

This visa is for Free Trade Agreement (FTA) professionals. It requires a post-secondary degree that needs at least four years in the field of specialization. This visa is primarily for applicants from Chile and Singapore.

H-2A Visa & H-2B Visa

The H-2A visa is for temporary or seasonal agricultural work. This visa is limited to citizens or nations from designated countries. The H-2B visa is for temporary non-agricultural work.

H-3 Visa

This visa is for trainees or special education visitors. Applicants must be seeking training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country. The practical training programs often involve the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.

L Visa

The L visa is for intracompany transferees. This means that it is for workers who want to work at a branch, parent, or affiliate office of their current employer. The job often contains managerial capacity or the position requires specialized knowledge. The applicant must be an employee of that company abroad for at least one consecutive year within the last three years.

O visa

The O visa is for individuals with extraordinary abilities or achievements. The applicant needs to have an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. The applicant could have also received achievements in the motion picture and television fields.

P-1 Visa

This visa is for applicants that perform a specific athletic competition or as a member of an entertainment group.

P-2 Visa

This visa is for artists or entertainers, either individuals or in a group. They may also be persons providing essential services in support of P-1 visa applicants.

P-3 Visa

This visa is for those who wish to perform, teach or coach in the fields of art or entertainment. They must be under a culturally unique program or a traditional musical or presentation.

Q-1 Visa

This visa is for participants in an international or cultural exchange program. The purpose is often to share the history, culture, or traditions of their home country by participating in the program.

If you determined which visa is best for you, you need an experienced attorney to help you with the application process. Get in touch with our Dallas employment immigration attorneys today at (844) 299-5003 to schedule a consultation!