Skip to Content

Which Visa Do I Need?

A shot of a corner of the visa.

Any foreign national seeking to immigrate to the United States generally must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident and have an approved petition before obtaining an immigrant visa. Get the facts on this process and the various types of immigrant visas to find the best solution for your needs.

Family-Based Visas

Family-based visas allow U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents to sponsor a relative for an immigrant visa. Family-based visas are divided into two groups: Immediate Relative visas and Family Preference Immigrant visas.

Immediate Relative visas are unlimited, and there is no limit on the number of immigrants who can enter the U.S. with this type of visa per year. Family Preference Immigrant visas, on the other hand, are capped at a certain number per year.

“Immediate Relatives” include the following individuals:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen

  • The parent of an adult U.S. citizen

  • The unmarried children of a U.S. citizen

  • An orphan who was adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen

  • An orphan whose adoption by a U.S. citizen is pending

Family Preference Immigrant visas are divided into the following categories:

  • Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if applicable

  • Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and adult unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents

  • Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children

  • Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children

Employment-Based Visas

Employment-based visas allow foreign citizens to seek employment in the United States and American companies to recruit international talent. The type of employment-based visa that is right for you depends on your unique skills and employment status.

Our immigration attorneys at Akula & Associates can assist with:

  • H-1B: This visa allows companies to bring in workers with specialized knowledge for a temporary period of time (maximum 6 years).

  • E-1 Visas, E-2 Visas vs EB-5: Investors and treaty traders can use these visas to enter the U.S. to engage in trade and invest in businesses.

  • R-Visas: These short-term work visas are available to religious workers entering into the U.S. for religious functions.

  • L Visas: L visas allow executives, managers, and professional employees with specialized knowledge to transfer to related foreign entities in the U.S.

  • J Visas: The J non-immigrant visa allows researchers, students, scholars, professors, and exchange visitors to enter the U.S. to pursue their fields of study.

  • O Visas, P Visas: Entertainers, athletes, artists, and other individuals with extraordinary talent can apply for these visas to enter the country.

  • TN/TD Visas: Under NAFTA, professionals from Canada and Mexico can apply for TN/TD visas to work in the U.S.

  • PERM: U.S. employers must apply for a labor certification when seeking to hire workers from foreign countries.

If you need assistance obtaining an immigrant visa or sponsoring a relative for an immigrant visa, our immigration attorneys at Akula & Associates are here to help. We have years of experience interpreting eligibility requirements and navigating complex immigration regulations.

Contact us today at (844) 299-5003 to learn how we can assist you.

Share To: