Skip to Content

H-1B Petitions to Be Available at Nebraska Service Center


Foreign specialists holding an advanced degree in their career field will soon need to send their visa petitions to the heart of the United States. The Nebraska Service Center in Lincoln has stated that it will begin accepting certain H-1B petitions starting July 1, 2016. In particular, it will accept Form I-129 for H-1B and H-1B1 (for Chile/Singapore Free Trade) petitions in the circumstances that the petitioner has been previously approved for employment and will continue that same employment for the same employer.

Three actions that may be requested in Question 4 of Form I-129 are:

  • Notifying the office so the beneficiary can receive a visa or admittance.
  • Extend the beneficiary’s stay due to holding an updated status.
  • Cite the free trade agreement to extend the status of a nonimmigrant petitioner.

In addition to the Form I-129 for H-1B and H-1B1 petitions, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) branch at the Nebraska Service Center will start accepting:

  • H-4 Form I-539, Application to Extend, if it is concurrently filed.
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if concurrently filed.

If your petition is sent by USPS mail, use this address:

  • USCIS, Nebraska Service Center, PO Box 87129, Lincoln, NE 68501-7129

If your petition is sent by courier, such as UPS or FedEx, use this address:

  • USCIS, Nebraska Service Center, 850 ‘S’ Street, Lincoln, NE 68508

Any other forms of H-1B or H-1B1 visa petitions should remain filed with the California Service Center (CSC) and the Vermont Service Center (VSC). Both of these centers will also continue to accept most H-1B and H-1B1 petitions during this transitionary period, which ends on August 31st, 2016. Please do not send these petitions to the CSC or VSC after these dates, as it could mean your petition is denied or delayed. However, if you are filing a cap-exempt petition to find employment at a higher education institution, nonprofit organization, and others, you may still need to file your H-1B petition to the CSC.

Due to the complications and numerous details inherent in employment visa filing, it is strongly suggested that you work with a professional to avoid any critical mistakes. You can contact Akula & Associates, P.C. today and one of our Dallas immigration attorneys would be happy to help you.

Share To: