Decades of Experience in Immigration Law.

Can I Get a U.S. Work Visa Without Sponsorship?

If you are a foreign national who wants to work in the United States, you might be wondering if you can get a U.S. work visa without having to secure a job. However, many U.S. visas require you to have a job offer secured if you want to work in the United States. Our Dallas immigration attorneys explain if it is possible to get a work visa without sponsorship from an employer.

How to Get a U.S. Work Visa

Unfortunately, most employment visas require you to have a job offer and an employment sponsor to obtain a work visa. Part of the U.S. visa application process requires an employer to file a petition on your behalf. That is why most applicants are unable to get a U.S. work visa without an employer sponsor. In the past, many foreign immigrants were using fake business sponsors to enter the United States. Now, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is more thorough in the application process to ensure that the employer is part of a bona fide business.

However, not all U.S. work visas require an approved petition filed on your behalf. Some permanent work visas don’t need a job offer and a sponsor in the United States. Below are the employment visas that you can get without sponsorship:

  • EB-1A: An EB-1A visa is for those who have exceptional and extraordinary expertise in sciences, education, arts, business, or athletics. This work visa can also be for multinational managers and executives. The applicant must demonstrate that they are at the top of their field. For example, they will need to present publications, awards, business portfolios, letters of recommendation, and more. Since this is a highly selective visa, you will need the help of an experienced attorney to strengthen your candidacy.
  • EB-5: An EB-5 visa is for people who invest a substantial amount in American corporations. The person hoping to earn this type of visa must invest in the United States economy, and this investment should generate jobs for U.S. workers. Thus, this visa doesn’t require a job offer or a sponsorship.
  • O Visa: The O visa is intended to expedite entry into the U.S. for individuals with special achievement or ability in their fields. O-1A visas for Individuals of extraordinary ability or achievement in education, science, business, or athletics. O-1B visas for individuals of extraordinary ability in the arts, motion picture, television, or entertainment industry.

If you need help applying for a work visa, contact our Dallas immigration attorneys today at (844) 299-5003 to schedule a consultation!