Decades of Experience in Immigration Law.

What is a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa?

A K-1 visa is a type of immigrant visa for which United States citizens may sponsor a fiance(e) who lives abroad. Learn how to sponsor your fiance(e) for this type of visa.

Eligibility Requirements for a K-1 Visa

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you may sponsor your fiance(e) who lives abroad if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are a U.S. citizen.

  • You and your fiance(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiance(e)’s admission to the U.S.

  • You and your fiance(e) are both free to marry, which means you’re eligible to marry in the U.S. and any previous marriages have been ended legally.

  • You and your fiance(e) have met each other in person at least once within the two-year period before filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e).

The only exceptions to the last requirement listed above are if you can prove that meeting in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or result in extreme hardship to you as the petitioner.

Applying for a K-1 Visa

In order to sponsor your fiance(e) for a K-1 visa, you must complete the following steps:

  • Submit Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e) and include proof of your citizenship status and in-person meeting(s).

  • If USCIS approves your application, the U.S. Consulate in the country where your fiance(e) lives will require your fiance(e) to attend an interview, bring required documentation, complete a medical exam, and receive vaccinations.

  • If the case has been approved, your fiance(e) will receive a passport with a K-1 visa.

At Akula & Associates, our Dallas immigration attorneys are well-versed in this area of law and our team can provide U.S. citizens with efficient guidance to facilitate the K-1 application process.

Contact us today at (844) 299-5003 to learn how we can assist you.